Brown Bear Photo Tours in Alaska
June 23-29, 2019. 7 Days, 6 nights: $6900. Deposit $1500. 2 openings available.
Maximum 4 photographers + leader Robert O’Toole.
July 7-13, 2019. 7 Days, 6 nights: $6900. Deposit $1500. 2 openings available.
Maximum 4 photographers + leader Robert O’Toole.
Have you ever dreamed about the ultimate Alaskan photo tour that will allow you to experience bears and other wildlife close up in their natural surroundings. The wildlife and quality of the photographic opportunities in Katmai NP will surprise you. Robert OToole will lead a small private group of photographer into Katmai National Park and Preserve. This area is one of the finest wildlife areas in the US and has one of the highest concentrations of coastal brown bears on the planet and most importantly some of the very best wildlife photography opportunities anywhere. We have selected the most productive locations in the park to create a tour specifically for serious brown bear photography.
- This tour gives you an actual 7 days of shooting, consisting of 12 shoots over 7 days. Other 7 day tours from other companies consist of multiple travel days on each end that result in 5 shooting days or less.
- Tour groups are strictly limited to 4 photographers, most Katmai tours have 8-15 participants.
- The small group size of 4 participants means more assistance and one-on-one guidance and help for each participant
- Photographers of all levels are welcome, the tour pacing will suit everyone’s needs and skill level
- This is a multi camera system tour and we welcome owners of all brands, the tour leader uses both Canon and Nikon systems and has over 11 years of professional experience with both systems
- On this tour we should also have possibilities for bald eagles, gray wolf, both species of puffin, harbor seals, and the Steller's Sea Lion.
Why a Photo Tour?
This tour offers great opportunities to photograph and enjoy all of the amazing wildlife Alaska has to offer with an important difference: you are accompanied by a experienced professional photographer.
Why Should you Choose this Tour?
1. Photographers of all levels are welcome.
2. We are based in a completely wild and natural setting without any pressure from lodges, camps, or crowds.
3. This is a multiple camera system tour and we welcome owners of all brands.
4. The tour leader uses both Nikon, Sony, and Canon systems and can offer help and advice for owners of either system.
5. 2019 will be the leader's 15th continuous year leading coastal brown bear photo tours in Katmai.
6. We will be spending the largest part of our time making images in the field but will have free time for group and one on one image review and instruction.
7. The small group size with a leader and co-leader means more time and guidance for each participant, and questions are always encouraged.
8. You will receive a daily briefing and specific suggestions on the subject that is being targeted.
9. The tour pacing will suit everyone's needs and skill level.
• Shared accommodations.
• All daily transportation for photography in Katmai.
• All meals and snacks.
• In the field instruction, briefing and specific suggestions during each photography session.
• Services of the our guides & staff.
What's Not Included?
• Beer, wine, cocktails, or special soft drinks, Diet coke etc.
• Travel Insurance
• Meals or accommodation before or after the tour
The tour starts on Kodiak Island Alaska. On the first day of the tour you be met by a representative from our charter flight service at the airport or your hotel to to assist with a free shuttle transfer to the Trident Basin Floatplane Facility for your late morning flight to Katmai. On arrival you will be met by our hosts and after and relaxing lunch will go out for our first photography session of the day.
Over the next 5 days we meet at 6 am for a quick coffee then its out in the field for our morning photography session. We will be back at our base for late morning breakfast followed by a break for downloading, battery charging and rest. After our break we will be back out in the field after lunch for a second photography session then back to our headquarters for downloading and image review break. After dinner we will be out in the field until the light fades.
On the last day of the tour we will enjoy an early morning photography session then back for breakfast and preparing for our late morning flight back to Kodiak. There you will be transported by free shuttle service back to your hotel or to the airport to meet your flight out of Alaska that afternoon.
If you would like to join me for the experience of a lifetime, please let us know immediately via e-mail or by phone that you will be sending a deposit as I expect this trip to sell out.
Deposit: $1500. (Non-refundable unless the tour fills with 8.) A pre tour PDF with advice and equipment recommendations will be available on registration.
1st installment: $2700 due Jan 4 Final payment: $2700 due April 1
If you are unable to attend the workshop, after paying the balance, the balance payment will be refunded ONLY if your spot can be filled, on short notice, from the waiting list. Please email for more information.
All content (including text, design, photos, layout, and graphics) are copyright © Robert OToole. All rights reserved.